Welcome back to the fourth episode of my brand new podcast: The Homemaking Foundations Podcast –Where we give you the tools, inspiration, and encouragement you need to craft a Gospel-Centered Home. In case you missed it, you can listen in to last weeks episode here: Episode #003: Setting the Atmosphere in Your Home for God’s Glory.
The aim of my podcast is to give you the encouragement, inspiration, and tools you need to craft a Gospel-Centered Home and so one of the first things I want to talk about is the impact that we have on our family. The first aspect of this I want to talk about is how we can take baby steps towards healthier living for God’s Glory.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Our responsibility in healthy living
- Making an idol out of healthy living
- Taking baby steps towards healthy living including:
- Cooking from scratch, eliminating toxins, exercise, and more!
Today I want to talk about something that we don’t often think about as homemakers, and that’s how our own health, and the health of our family is important and can be used to Glorify God. It’s not about the latest fad diet or fitting into those skinny jeans. It’s about the ability to serve God to the best of our ability.
As a homemaker, wife & mother I know it’s my responsibility to make sure my family is living a healthy life. We are not perfect at it but I do strive to create a healthy environment for my family. I think it is glorifying to God to take care of our health and our bodies.
Throughout this episode we will take a look at what our responsibility is in healthy living, God’s sovereign control, and then dive into the baby steps we can start taking towards healthier living for Gods Glory.
Links & Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Homemaking Foundations Podcast on iTunes
- Episode #003: Setting the Atmosphere in Your Home for God’s Glory
- Psalm 139:16 and Matthew 6:27
- Physical Exercise: What I Do and Why – John Piper
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- Cooking from Scratch Resources:
- 7 Simple Tips for Once a Month Cooking – Young Wife’s Guide
- My Postpartum Freezer Cooking Plan – Young Wife’s Guide
- Balancing a Homemade Lifestyle – Young Wife’s Guide
- A Grace-Filled Approach to a Healthier Lifestyle – Young Wife’s Guide
- 10 Favorite Real Food Recipe Websites – Keeper of the Home
- Simple Steps to Begin Cooking Homemade – Keeper of the Home
- 10 Ingredients to Make From Scratch – Keeper of the Home
- Eliminating Toxins From Your House Resources:
- Trim Healthy Mama – Book of the Week
- Sign up for my weekly podcast emails
Book of the Week:
Trim Healthy Mama: A Common Sense Guide to Satisfy Your Cravings and Energize Your Life
While there are many excellent books I could recommend for healthy living, my eyes were really opened when I read Trim Healthy Mama. I had heard good things about this book for months, but because it’s a bit pricier, I was hesitant to actually order it. When my husband said he wanted to try and lose weight, I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and buy it. While I bought it to help us lose weight, the chapters and chapters in the beginning all about healthy living and eating, totally opened my eyes to really understanding what sugar and processed grains and junk do to our body. I learned more about proper nutrition from that book than any other! There are some pretty fantastic recipes in this nearly 700 page book – but don’t let that overwhelm you. This book rocks!!
Other Healthy Living Books:
- The Whole30
- Nourishing Traditions
- Real Food for the Real Homemaker
- The America’s Test Kitchen DIY Cookbook
- Organic Body Care Recipes
- Raw Energy
- The Naturally Clean Home
Thanks for Listening!
Thank you so much for listening in to my podcast. If you want to ask a question (that I will try to answer on the podcast) please leave me a voicemail below so I can feature you on the podcast and so I can cover what you want to hear! (Find out more about submitting a question here)